Deception Island Management Group
The Deception Island Management Group was established to oversee the implementation of the Deception Island Management Package.
Terms of Reference
The Group will:
- co-ordinate activities on Deception Island;
- facilitate communication between those working on, or visiting the island;
- maintain a record of activities in the area;
- disseminate information and educational material about the significance of Deception Island to those visiting, or working there;
- where practicable, inspect and monitor the site to investigate cumulative environmental impacts;
- evaluate the effectiveness of the Management Package and revise it as necessary.
The Management Group comprises representatives from the following Antarctic Treaty Consultative Parties:
Argentina, Chile, Norway, Spain, the UK, and the USA.
Advisors to the Group may include the Antarctic and Southern Ocean Coalition (ASOC) and the International Association of Antarctica Tour Operators (IAATO). Other ad hoc members and advisors may be appointed as required.
Liaison throughout the year will generally take place by e-mail contact (see Contact Section for details) and through the Discussion Forum on this website.
The Deception Island Management Group will convene once per annum, generally in the margins of the Committee for Environmental Protection.